“I want to discover the message of my dreams, but I can’t remember them.”
There are several steps you can take to increase your chances of having dream recall. Your first steps involve setting the stage for active dreaming and recollection.
- Follow a nighttime routine, and go to bed and awake at the same times —even on the weekends. Your body will get used to the hours designated for sleep, rejuvenation, and nighttime adventure through dreams.
- Ban electronics before bedtime. Turn off your computer, television, e-reader—all electronics, especially those that emit blue light—at least 30 minutes before you retire. From Harvard Health Publications online, “It’s not exactly clear why nighttime light exposure seems to be problematic. It could be because exposure to light at night curbs the secretion of melatonin, a hormone that influences circadian rhythms. But all light is not created equal, says the Health Letter. Blue wavelengths—which are beneficial during daylight hours because they boost attention, reaction times, and mood—seem to be the most disruptive at night. While light of any kind can suppress the secretion of melatonin, blue light does so more powerfully.”
- Relax by listening to music, reading a magazine or a traditional print book, or by taking a bath.
- Refrain from overindulgence in alcohol or narcotics. Anything that leaves you groggy in the morning interrupts your natural awakening process.
- Intend to remember your dreams. Repeat your intention to recall your dream. A simple statement is best. “I remember my dreams easily, in vivid detail.” Say this aloud as you settle into bed, and as you drift off to sleep.
- Be prepared to capture the memories of your dreams. Keep paper and pencil by your bedside. Pens with a built-in light are best so you don’t awaken a bed partner and don’t drag yourself completely out of a drowsy state. Some people prefer a voice-activated recorder. If you opt for this method, practice using the tool so you don’t lose focus when it’s time to record your dream.
Following these easy steps will go a long way toward helping you capture those dream scenes which hold valuable messages that will aid you in your waking hours. Want to learn more techniques? Check out our upcoming dream interpretation fundamentals classes, enroll and join us for an amazing evening!